Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Farewell to Plum Sauce!

Little Jeff Nimoy
Attempted to deploy,
A paleo friendly game plan;
He made with his thumbs,
A sauce made from plums,
And said, "Ugga-Bugga, I'm a Caveman!"

Lame, I know, but I wanted a poem to commiserate the end of this season's Asian BBQ Plum sauce, the single greatest thing I've ever eaten.  Last time I made it (I think for the buffalo ribs blog), I froze a bunch of it, thinking that plums were now out of season, so if I wanted any this winter, I'd have to freeze some.  But I couldn't wait for winter.  Last week I made those incredible chicken wings with the sauce, which I'm calling Plum Loco Wings!  They were amazing.  So amazing, that I used practically the same recipe on a Plum Loco Pork Loin last night.  I made a dry rub of garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, dash of clove, black pepper, and cayenne powder.  Then I browned the pork loin in olive oil, and finished it in the oven (see Pork Loin blog for the cooking instructions, you lazy cavemen bastards).  And of course, it was drenched in that fabulous sauce!  I both glazed the outside with the sauce, and generously dipped each bite into it as well.  Hot damn, is this shit good! (That's a statement, not a question.)

But now I'm sad, because, alas, the sauce is no more until red and/or purple sweet plums come back in season.  But that's okay, because like all of life, there is a season to everything, just ask Bob Dylan and The Byrds.  In fact, I bet that song was originally a recipe for a cookbook.  "For every season, Turn, Turn, Turn.  Place mixture in a bowl and Turn, Turn, Turn.  Put pizza in the oven and Turn, Turn, Turn."  So I will wait until spring/summer of 2011.

In the meantime, I look forward to my new find of zucchini pasta, and plan to make a million noodle recipes that I used to love!  I bought a Spirooli on-line the other day, and it's going to be able to make long strands of zucchini spaghetti!  I can even use them as ramen noodles!  Plus, lots of other hearty meals to get me through the brutal Los Angeles winter.  There's nothing better than a hot bowl of ramen soup, next to a roaring fire, while the temperature outside dips to a winter low of 61 degrees (at night, of course, during the day it's 74).  Brrr!  But the way, the roaring fire isn't in a fireplace, it's a brush fire in the Hollywood Hills.  The air quality outside is horrible, but in here, smells like home cookin'!  See you soon with a new recipe.  Ugga-Bugga!

No comments:

Post a Comment