Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Caveman Cannot Live On Bread Alone

Nothing's defrosted, so let's make that tuna sandwich we've been talking about.  Now normally, tuna salad is made with your favorite mayonaise, which contains salt and vinegar for sure (even the organic stuff).  Not to mention all those store bought veggies with who knows what chemicals they're grown with.  The movie "Food, Inc." revealed to me that most store bought tomatoes are picked early, and then injected with red food dye to look ripe.  Yuch!  We're going to use all organic ingredients, all the time.

The biggest problem is going to be the bread.  No grains allowed on the Caveman Diet, which means no wheat, rye, sourdough, pretty much any bread you can buy in the market.  If they make a bread without grains, I haven't found it yet.  And trust me kids, I'VE LOOKED!  But fear not, fellow Cavemen (including all Cavewomen, of course), I found a recipe on-line for a quick and easy flat bread made from ground almonds, that is very versatile and delicious!  Any other nut will work as well (except your crazy uncle with the foot fetish) or seed meal for that matter, like flaxseed meal, but I think almonds add the most flavor!

First ground some almonds in the food processor until ultra fine.  It's going to be loud at first, so cover your ears.  Congrats, you've just made almond flour!  Let's take a cup of that, and add a 1/4 cup of arrowroot as a thickener.  Beat three eggs, with three tablespoons of olive oil, and mix with the dry ingredients.  Now here's the kicker, let's add a little sumthin' sumthin' to give it its own distinct flavor.  You like rye bread, add caraway seeds!  The aroma and aftertaste will definitely remind you of rye bread.  But I have some fresh rosemary from my friends Brian & Michele's yard, and it's going to give the bread an incredible aroma (and rosemary goes perfect with tuna)!  Throw the leaves (or seeds) right into the batter, don't be stingy, there's nothing in there that's bad for you.  Pour it into a parchment lined pan, and smooth out in a thin layer.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes, and you're done!  You might have to pat a little excess oil off the top, but that's it, very simple.  Let cool a little and cut into slices.  It will not be the bread you're used to, but it's great for sandwiches.  This bread will not toast, so don't treat it like bread bread, just use it for sandwiches, and you'll be fine.  We're going to eat Caveman Burgers with the leftovers later in the week!  But for now, back to the tuna...

I used to make tuna a million different ways, but once I mixed in some fresh pico de gallo (another name for salsa) and it was outrageous, so since I have all those ingredients handy, let's make it that way again.  Into the food processor goes a jalapeno (seed it if you don't like spicy), a small tomato, a bunch of cilantro, the juice of half a lime, one garlic clove, and about a half a medium onion (any onion works, I'm gonna use red onion for the color contrast with the tuna).  Pulse it until it's still relatively chunky.  By the way, congrats, you've just made the most delicious and freshest tasting salsa you've ever had in your life!  Make some extra and serve it with organic corn chips for a great mini-cheat.  Or better yet, add the salsa to fresh avocado for some outrageous guacamole!

Damn, my kitchen smells good right now as the bread bakes!  Check it out:



If I was cooking this for a chick, you better believe she'd be planning a sleep over right about now.  Okay back to the tuna (unintentional comedic bad taste moment, I assure you)...

Make your Caveman Mayo (if you forgot, it's one egg, 1/4 tsp mustard powder, 1 tbs lemon juice in the blender on low, as I slowly add in one cup of sunflower oil until thick and creamy), and toss the tuna (make sure it's WILD CAUGHT!!!!), the mayo, and some pico de gallo!  Add black pepper, mix, and it's ready!!!  Normally I like dill relish in my tuna (I'm a pickle freak, or at least I was in the old days, B.C. {Before Caveman}), so I'm going to add some cucumbers with fresh dill to my sandwich as well as some avocado slices, and some lettuce.  Done!!!  It's the freshest and healthiest tasting tuna sandwich you will ever eat.  What do you think?






Mmmm, Caveman like!  Rosemary bread good!!!  Ugga-bugga!  Obviously you can make this with your favorite tuna salad recipe as well, but make sure you're using Caveman Friendly ingredients and NO SALT!  Trust me, with the flavors popping out of this sandwich, you will not miss the sodium.  Enjoy!


Search Amazon.com for Tuna Recipes


Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet


Search Amazon.com for The Omnivore's Dilemma

11 comments:

  1. Looks great... will have to try that!

    I've got an off-topic question (since there's no place on the blog for Q&A yet). Went to Whole Foods today and saw chicken and turkey that's all "fed a vegetarian diet." But vegetarian diets could include caveman no-no's. How do you know what to get? Would-be caveman confused by words on labels. Any advice from Cooking Caveman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes actually, there's a lot of misinformation out there, be careful. Always make sure whatever you buy says organic, or it could be a lot of different things. "Fed a vegetarian diet" almost always means factory produced corn and/or soy, both Caveman no-no's. But by law, if it's called organic, even though the chickens might be fed corn and soy, at least it's organic, and you're still getting a healthy chicken. Plus, maybe to a chicken, corn and soy IS Caveman Food? I don't know, I'm not a chicken, but in my mind, it's a healthy bird for me to eat.

    Also, "Free Range" doesn't mean much. By law, it can mean the chicken had some access to the outdoors for a small period of time during the day, but in reality, they probably stayed inside anyway, in horrible unhealthy conditions. If it says organic, by law, it means they were raised mostly outdoors, and are happy healthy chickens, right up to the moment I slaughter and eat it for my own selfish reasons. :)

    The same goes for eggs, by the way. Always make sure it says organic, and if you can get them from chickens who were fed organic flax seed for extra Omega-3, even better. Thanks for the tip on Q&A, I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caveman Q&A is up! You can find it under the PAGES heading on the upper right. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, I learned a lot of this from a book called "The Omnivore's Dilemma." I just posted a link to it on the bottom of the blog if you're interested."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tuna looks YUMMY!

    I know a lot of people that really like that book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend Brian turned me on to it. I have to say it's wonderful not worrying anymore about where my food comes from. I've never experienced guilt free eating before. And I have a Jewish mother, trust me, I KNOW FROM GUILT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you make the plate too? Color Me Mine?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why pay for a kiln, when I can borrow theirs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had my first officially caveman mean -- organic chicken, with all organic salad. Might not seem like much, but I feel "clear" after dinner. And surprisingly full. Nice.

    ReplyDelete