Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ring Around the Burger

Leftover burgers!  Yum.  Normally with leftovers I wouldn't bother blogging, but I made a side dish for the first time, and they came out AMAZING!!!  Caveman Onion Rings!!!!!!!  So simple, so delicious, and perfect with the burger!  Plus, I made Caveman Thousand Island Dressing to dip them in!

First the dressing.  Caveman Ketchup, and Caveman Mayo mixed together.  Add fresh dill, paprika, and diced cucumber, diced red and green bell pepper (for a little kick replace the green bell pepper with a spicier green chili or pepper).  That's it!  Amazing tasting!!!!  I'm gonna put it on the burger too.

The onion rings are simple too.  Slice a white, brown, yellow, or vidalia onion thickly and separate the rings.  In a bowl, mix an egg with equal parts almond flour and arrowroot until the consistency of pancake batter.  In a separate bowl, mix 2 parts arrowroot to one part almond flour, and add garlic powder and paprika (all ingredients, all organic, all the time).  Dip the onion into the wet bowl, dip them into the dry bowl, and throw them into a frying pan with lots of hot sunflower oil.  A couple of minutes on each side until golden brown.  Put them on a paper towel lined plate to cool and sop up the excess oil.  Then serve with the thousand island dressing!  Take a look:



Pretty good looking, huh?  They taste even better.  Guilt free onion rings, who would have ever thought?!  Try these next time instead of using bread crumbs and god knows what kind of saturated oil you heathens are frying food in.  Sorry, I shouldn't judge... but it's kind of fun being an asshole sometimes.

Speaking of being an asshole, forgive me while I pat myself on the back for a moment.  I whipped this up and took for granted that it was kind of effortless.  But now that I look back, I'm having a burger and onion rings for dinner, and I made it all!  From the bun to the thousand friggin' island dressing.  I can't get over that for some reason.  But what it proves is if I can do this, you can definitely do this too.  I'm not particularly talented in the kitchen, I just overcame my fear of the unknown, and I wasn't afraid to experiment, fail, and learn from my failures.  The biggest hurdle is just overcoming the overwhelmingness of it all, but trust me, if you wanted to do this, you could.  I believe in you!!!!

Now get the hell out of my kitchen I'm going to eat!  Caveman hungry!!!!  Ugga-Bugga!

P.S. - I'm going to use these last few recipes to make appetizers for a little get together my buddy is having this weekend.  More on that in Monday's blog.  Tomorrow night we use the leftover dipping sauce from the coconut shrimp to make chicken wings!  Yum!

Search Amazon.com for Onion Rings

Search Amazon.com for Hamburgers

Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet

5 comments:

  1. Yum. That looks delish. You can start an In-n-Out but it would be called...Cave IN or OUT. Hahha. I'm tired--sorry for the humour.
    BTW...I will take pics Sunday for you if you would like!? I have never taken pics of food but certainly can give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I've started going Caveman (wicked headaches the second day, I know I know, detoxing) and want to start using the recipes. But the bigger your blog gets the hard it will be to find the recipes without rereading everything. Can you make a page with the recipes listed and then a link to the blog article that has them? Or maybe just a recipes page? Keep up the awesome work. I agree with you, it's not that hard, just overwhelming at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea, thanks. I'll get that going some point next week. In the meantime, you can do what I do, which is look up your favorite recipe on-line, and then try to convert it to caveman on your own. There's also quite a few Paleo recipes out there on the Internet as well, so try Googling those as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete