Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Caveman Dinner: Wednesday, 8/11/10

There's a lot of cheating going on this week, juggling lunches and dinners with friends and some visiting family.  Therefore, I didn't defrost anything for tonight, just in case some of my plans had to be moved to this evening.  So it's either wild caught tuna from a can, or eggs.  Since I don't have any bread made (don't worry, we'll make some in a future blog), or mayo for that matter, I'm gonna skip tuna and go for the eggs.  I love breakfast for dinner sometimes anyway, and it's just what I'm in the mood for.  Let's cook some scrambled eggs and onions!  (all the Jews are salivating, everyone else is scratching their heads)

A breakfast favorite in delis across America (meaning NY and LA).  Usually made with yellow onion, I like to use red onion.  They're more flavorful, and brighten up an otherwise dull looking dish.  I chop about a quarter of a large organic red onion that I get at my local farmer's market for $2 a pound.  I'll go half an onion if it's a small one.  I don't chop it too finely, first because I like chopped things a little chunky, and secondly because I'm not great with a knife, and don't want to slice my fingers off.  There, I said it.  The point about this whole blog experience is to show people, if I can do this diet with my limited skills and acquired knowledge, you can too!!!!

I pour some organic olive oil into a frying pan and put the heat on very low.  Once hot, I add the onions in, and slowly saute them.  While they cook, I break the eggs into a bowl and give them a stir.  Take four eggs (FOUR, WHAT ARE YOU CRAZY, ARE YOU TRYING TO GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK, MY CHOLESTEROL WILL SKYROCKET!!!)...

Are you done yelling?  Relax, these eggs are not your parents' eggs.  Not only are they organic, meaning laid by happy chickens who roam around free outdoors and eat nature's bugs and worms, but they're also fed a diet of organic flaxseed, which is high in Omega 3 fat (that's the good fat your doctors are always telling you to eat).  As a result, these yolks are rich in Omega 3 fat, and GREAT for you.  They're also bright yellow, and just plain LOOK healthier.  That's why you can eat more and not worry, especially when you want a bigger meal for dinner than you normally have when eating eggs for breakfast.  I get these eggs at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for anywhere between 3 and 4 dollars a dozen.  Expensive yes, but would you rather buy cheaper eggs, and then eat less of them because they're bad for you?  I don't want to eat anything that's bad for me.

Ever hear nutritionists talking about the Super Foods?  Well, what usually makes them super is they are high in Omega 3 fat.  The reason they push salmon all the time is it's the richest in Omega 3 fat.  But here's the dirty secret, FARM RAISED salmon is as bad for you as big fatty corn fed beef.  It's the wild salmon that has all that good fat.  In fact, ALL animals that are raised organically are high in Omega 3 fat, and therefore good for you.  Not only that, but they have almost none of that BAD CHOLESTEROL that doctors are always warning you about.  If you have high blood pressure, you don't have to give up beef, you just have to make sure it's grass fed beef!

Once the onions are the consistency you like (I like them almost caramelized, but still with the slightest hint of crunch), pour in the scrambled eggs.  I just keep pushing the edges in, flipping over some hot spots, until the eggs get firmer and firmer.  I like A LOT of black pepper, so I'll mill it in while still in the pan.  When they eggs are ALMOST dry (but still just a little wet, NOT RUNNY, just "wet"), I dish them up. You like?
Mmmm, Caveman like!  Caveman like Jew Food!  Ugga-Bugga!!!

Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet

4 comments:

  1. You look good on this caveman diet! Seems to be working for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll go make me some ugga-bugga eggs too!

    ReplyDelete