Thursday, August 12, 2010

Don't Eat Angry

No recipes today, I'm eating out for lunch and dinner, so a major cheat day.  I'm not worried, even if I cheat all week, I know I'll get back on the horse again and whatever weight or health problems I gain, I'll lose just as fast once I start eating organically again.  But I do want to talk about people's reactions to my diet.

Some people are happy for me.  If you're reading this, chances are you're an adult woman, probably with a child or two, and you're interested in the results I've achieved, both with weight loss and good health.  You may be considering this diet, or some aspects of it for yourself or your family, or you just love to read about good food (like I do).  But most of you are angry (this goes for boys more than girls, but there are plenty of women angry at me too, and angry about the diet, not just for the many usual reasons I've given them over the years).

Maybe you've read some of the comments on my Facebook page that I get all the time in life.  I've heard, "You're too skinny!"  "Women like men with more meat on their bones!"  "Stop losing weight!"  Stop losing weight?  I didn't try to lose THIS weight.  It just happened when I started eating non-processed food.  I couldn't stop it, it's the way humans are SUPPOSED to look when we eat right!

I've talked about this before, when people first saw me after I dropped all this weight so rapidly, their first thought wasn't "You look great!"  Okay, SOME people did say that, and I appreciate it.  But MOST said, "Oh my god, what's wrong, is everything okay, are you sick?"  I didn't think I looked sick, in fact, I thought I looked rather healthy.  But I can understand their concern.  Only it wasn't concern.  Because after I told them that I was on the Caveman Diet they were angry.  Their first line was almost always, "So what do you eat, Brontosaurus Burgers all day, Flinstone?"  Very funny.  Let me write that one down... for the millionth time.  "Dude, eat something, you're wasting away to nothing, your pants don't even fit you anymore!"  Well, that doesn't mean I'm wasting away, it just means I need new pants.  Should I gain the weight back to save money on new pants?  Sorry, I need a better reason than that.  Or when I tell them I can't eat salt, sugar, or grain, they ask, "What else is there?!"  Um, everything else in the food chain, equaling a lot more options than salt, sugar and grains.

I saw something similar happen to Jamie Oliver on his "Food Revolution" show, when he tried to offer healthy choices to school kids instead of the usual crap the Board of Ed approves.  People were outraged he was offering fresh fruit instead of processed breakfast cereal loaded with refined sugar.  Maybe people just hate change, even if it doesn't affect them.  Maybe they hate success unless it happens to them.  Well, if it makes you happy, I'm a failure at almost everything else in life, so rejoice!

Here's an actual conversation at a pot luck dinner I attended.  Someone made this great looking pasta casserole dish for everyone, and I made some salad for people to share and a sandwich for myself.  As they dished out the pasta they said, "Enjoy your sticks and twigs, Jeff, while we all have this great pasta!"  Everyone laughed and had a Flinstone's gay old time.  I looked at my sticks and twigs sandwich.  It was an organic roasted chicken breast on homemade rosemary bread that I made from almond flour I ground myself, with homemade mayo, fresh tomato, lettuce, red onion, avocado, black pepper, and dill.  It was all organic, with no salt, diary, or sugar, and yet, it was one of the best things I ever tasted in my life!  I was confused as to what they were laughing at.  Chances are they were all going to have to jog, or stair master that pasta off of them in the days that followed, plus they would lack energy the next day, and add one more drop of cyanide into their death pool.  I on the other hand, was getting very healthy in a delicious manner.  Hilarious!

When my dentist first saw me she said, "Stop, don't lose any more weight!"  Stop?  Would you prefer I gained the weight back and got diabetes?  Why would you be happy if I got diabetes, but angry if my body fat dropped to healthy levels?  Aren't these the diet results everyone HOPES for when they start a new plan?  But once I showed them how successful I was at losing weight, the OVERWHELMING response was anger.  I promise everyone, I WILL stop losing weight one day.  When my body sheds what it feels it has to shed, it will stop all by itself, as long as I continue to eat this way.  I guarantee I won't die of malnutrition, or anorexia!  I eat ALL THE TIME!  But if you eat this way you CAN eat all the time, without gaining weight, or losing flavor!  Plus, I cheat constantly!  Yet, people are angry.

So mock me if you will, I'm used to it, I'm a Jew.  But please don't hate the game OR the player!  I'm not bothering anyone, I'm not judging you, I don't give a shit if most of you live or die.  I'm just telling you what I do, and showing you that you have choices in the food you eat, if you want to lose weight and/or get healthy.  If not, no skin off my chicken, but please don't hate me.  Just don't read my blog (please read my blog).

Caveman no like angry people.  Ugga-Friggin'-Bugga!

P.S. - If you like this blog, please become a follower, and try to comment either here, or on my Facebook page.  Otherwise I have no idea if anyone gives a shit for me to keep writing.  Thanks!

Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet

12 comments:

  1. Keep writing Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Jeffey! You look fantastic...don't let anyone tell you differently. And...keep up with the recipes, I love those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving it. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an adult woman with 2 kids. I'm reading! But I'm cool too. I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes people project about weight issues. There's a lot attached to food, how it makes us feel and how we feel about it. I also realize it's a very visual-driven society we live in. But, honestly, I'm more interested in how you feel since you're on a new eating program, any differences in your energy levels, amounts of sleep you crave, differences in stamina, differences in your skin, hair, nails, overall ability to fend off sickness. Please include these facts as well, since you're taking the time to blog. Thanks Jeff. Carry on Brave warrior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lib. I have commented on my first blog about how I feel. My skin has definitely cleared up (a lifelong battle with acne), and now I only break out after a cheat meal, which tells a lot. I also definitely have more energy. I really haven't noticed better sleep, but I know when I was heavier I snored (LOUDLY), and now I don't, which makes sleep overs much easier. My hair is also much shinier, and I haven't gotten sick since I started either. If I feel a little cold coming on, I might use some homeopathic zinc and it's gone by the next day. Haven't noticed anything about my nails. I might be slightly metro, but I'm still a guy, nails are off my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let the haters into your world, Nimoy. People get angry at your choice because it forces them to confront reality: They're not eating well and they know it. It's a "shooting the messenger" thing. Personally, your blog has inspired me to look into the caveman/paleo thing, and the more I read, the more interested I get. It makes perfect logical sense, and the results you (and seemingly everybody else who does it) get are compelling. I'm planning to start a week from today (I've got a long weekend ahead where cheating would be simply unavoidable, best to start afterwards and get off on the right foot). Biggest challenge for me will be cooking (I hate cooking), but it seems like getting that part of it covered will make the whole thing much easier.

    Anyway, keep up the great work on the blog. It's awesome. And no, I'm not a woman with two kids. I'm a guy with none.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. Thanks for the encouraging words. Glad to hear you're going to give it a try. Good luck next week, and anything I can do to help, just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete