Tuesday, August 24, 2010

PICS!

Here are some pics from Henry's screening.  They were all taken by the incredibly talented Eva Fisher-Barrial!  Here's a link to her blog featuring more of her amazing photography (the pics are a lot bigger on her blog too, 'cause she has more room, so check them out):

http://www.evabarrial.blogspot.com/

Me and Henry prepping!


Sliders!  The buns were rosemary almond flat bread.  The fixin's are in the background, but I don't see the homemade ketchup, mayo, or thousand island dressing.  I think I liked the thousand island more than the others, but I don't care, I'm gonna make it again soon, I thought it was yummy!


One slider with all the fixin's, including homemade ketchup.




This is the dipping sauce for the Coconut Shrimp.  Came out perfect!


Here's where the dipping sauce was in focus, but the Coconut Shrimp were blurred in the background, much like the actual taste of the dish.  Lol.


Eva made these look much more appetizing than they actually were.  I know a lot of the guests did like them, but trust me, it was a disaster.  I'll have to make them again without the lemon juice acid bath.


Cooking Onion Rings!  They came out great!


Mmmm, I'm gonna have to make these again soon for little ol' me.



Kale Chips.  A little underdone, but still yummy.



Date Wrapped Strawberries, Almonds, and Walnuts!  Don't make the strawberries a day ahead or they'll turn into a gooey (but still delicious) mess!  Didn't Eva make these look pretty?

Men, make these strawberries for your ladies!  They will love you for it!!!


So, the great catering experiment is over.  Don't know what to cook tonight or this week.  Don't even want to look at a kitchen, but I'll keep plugging away.  My friend Wendy wants me to try to caveman cook a traditional Rosh Hashana dinner, so maybe that'll be my next huge tackling project.  Rosh Hashana is the Jewish New Year, and this year the Jewish calendar will turn to year 5771 (I know I'll still be writing 5770 on my checks for the first two months).  Typically we eat brisket, which I love.  We'll see.  I'm a little intimidated by it all.  Plus, it's a lot of food for just me, I'll be eating leftovers until 5772!  My friend Shari and my sister Sherilyn have great traditional recipes, and my cousins David and Melanie have a killer recipe that has a little more BBQ flavor.  But I think I might do what I do every year... accept someone else's invitation to dinner!

Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet

Search Amazon.com for Brisket Recipes

Search Amazon.com for Strawberry Recipes

Search Amazon.com for Catering

Search Amazon.com for Finger Food

10 comments:

  1. Those dates look totally delish. My mom used to put peanut butter inside dates... also a big yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately peanuts are legumes, and therefore not on the caveman diet. But it sounds delicious for a mini-cheat dessert using organic peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer, but I bet almond butter would be even more amazing... or cashew butter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all the almond butters I've found in stores so far have something on my no-no list (like salt or other preservatives). I haven't been motivated to make my own yet. Cashews are weird, because some say it's a legume, others say it's a nut or a seed, and I can't get a flat definition for Paleo purposes, so I've stayed away. But if I made almond butter, I'd make a Paleo PB&J sandwich with fresh strawberries or grapes. I think the date wrapped whole almond is nice because it has the soft and crunchy textures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whole Foods has an almond butter whose only ingredient is "dry roasted almonds." Is that caveman friendly, or do almonds need to be raw?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think roasted is fine, I mean after all, I bake with almonds all the time, which is essentially roasting. My rule is if it's edible raw, I can cook with it. I'm headed to Whole Foods now, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. - If it's edible raw, AND ORGANIC, I can cook with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got the organic almond butter from Whole Foods. YUM! Can't wait for my first Paleo Pb&J! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PB&J..I haven't had one since like 5768.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is fan-tas-tic! I can also vouch that your recipes are indeed tasty...the pics on your site are amazing. Eva's site is crazy good...I want her to photograph my cookies! Thanks for sharing all this great stuff x

    ReplyDelete