Thursday, August 26, 2010

Southern Fried Chicken and Golden Crusted Brussels Sprouts!

If I did have a choice for my last meal, I might very well choose fried chicken, collard greens, and macaroni and cheese.  I'm not having that tonight.  Then again I'm not going to the electric chair tonight either, so I have time.  But I did have some boneless skinless chicken cutlets defrosted (all ingredients, all organic, all the time), so I thought I would fry them with a recipe I found on-line.  Usually I use these cutlets for cheese-less chicken parmigiana, but I've been craving fried chicken lately.  And to go with them, I'm making one of my favorite side dishes since starting this diet.

My grandmother cooked a lot of cabbage when I was a kid, so I always liked brussels sprouts, but when I tried them this way, they shot way up on my favorite veggie list!  And it's real simple to make.  Cut the brussels sprouts in half from stem to top and toss them in some olive oil to coat.  Heat a little more olive oil in a skillet and place the brussels sprouts in the pan flat side down, cover and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until tender (they should show only a hint of browning).  Uncover and turn up the heat until the flat sides are deeply brown and caramelized.  Toss them once or twice to get some browning on the rounded leafy side too, while sprinkling with the Holy Trinity (there are infinite combinations of spices that would make this delicious as well, so get creative you lazy bastards).  Shouldn't take long until they're browned, so take 'em off the the heat and plate them.  I dare you to stop popping them in your mouth before they're all gone, causing you to serve your main dish solo.  They're definitely addicting!  I know people that hated brussels sprouts until they've had them this way.  Check it out:


Now on to the chicken.  Also simple.  Dip into some egg wash, and then dip into our dry mixture of arrowroot, almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, sage, thyme, paprika, and cayenne pepper to taste.  Let the breaded chicken sit for ten minutes so the breading will stick better (use this time to clean up a little).  Then into an oiled skillet on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until browned (but not burned!).  Next, transfer to a foil lined baking tray and finish in a 385 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  Done!  Juicy, crispy, and delicious!  I'm guessing it would need to cook longer for chicken on the bone, but that's for another recipe.  Serve up and enjoy!  Take a look:

Southern fried boneless skinless chicken breast with what's left of the brussels sprouts (told you I couldn't stop eating them before the chicken was done).

Okay, so it's not classic southern fried chicken, but it is fried, it is chicken, and it was what I was in the mood for.  Plus, it's delicious, so go ugga-bugga yourself.

Popcorn for dinner tomorrow night, completely cheating, but it's a special occasion.  My friend Patrick Fabian is starring in the movie "The Last Exorcism," which premieres nation wide Friday night.  Hollywood is all about the opening weekend numbers, so if you're going to the movies this weekend, please try to see it!

The Last Exorcism

Google Search Patrick Fabian

Search Amazon.com for Patrick Fabian Movies

Search Amazon.com for The Exorcist

Search Amazon.com for Caveman Diet

Search Amazon.com for Fried Chicken

Search Amazon.com for Southern Cooking

Search Amazon.com for Brussels Sprouts

3 comments:

  1. I <3 Brussels sprouts! I always roast them, which achieves much the same browning... YUM. But your method sounds better for the warmer months when I don't want to turn on the oven. I agree that when it comes to Brussels sprouts, most people don't know what they are missing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken looks awesome but will have to sub the brussels. Maybe some asparagus wrapped in bacon...MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon is a definite no-no for cavemen because it's cured in salt, but go to town and enjoy if salt is your thing!

    ReplyDelete