Thursday, December 23, 2010

Caveman Garlic Bread!



This one's good!  Remember that Paleo Parmesan I made the other day?  You don't?  Screw you then.

Okay, I'm in a good mood because I'm paleo and eating garlic bread, so I'll tell you.  I found a paleo friendly mock parmesan cheese recipe.  Here you go:
1 cup Brazil Nuts
2 Cloves Garlic

Pretty simple.  Doesn't taste quite like cheese, but still, for paleo, pretty decent substitute.  But as I keep eating it, the smell reminded me more and more of garlic bread.  Well, my regular bread recipe is made from nut flour anyway, like almonds or walnuts, so it wouldn't be a stretch to make my bread out of the brazil nut flour!  One little tweak though from my regular bread recipe to make it as close to garlic bread as I can get it.  Okay, in a bowl mix all these organic ingredients:

1 cup of brazil nut flour
1/4 cup of arrowroot
3 tablespoons of olive oil
3 eggs

Pour into a baking pan, and spread to even out.  Don't worry if it's too thin, mine is usually only less than 1/2 of an inch thick, but feel free to experiment with thicker bread.  Put it into a preheated oven of 350F for 5-10 minutes.  While it's cooking, mix up:

2 cloves of garlic
A bunch of chopped parsley
A little more added olive oil

After 10 minutes in the oven (you want it firmer than the liquid mess you put in, but still kind of wet looking) remove bread and pour garlic mixture on top, gently spread out evenly, and continue baking for another 20 minutes until done.  Then gaze upon garlicky goodness!

Came out great!  I'm gonna serve it on the side of some fauxghetti and Italian Sausage I made today.  I think brazil nut flour is my new GO-TO nut flour for bread!  Leaves a little powdery residue like pizza crust, wonderful when you're trying to trick yourself into eating bread.  I might even try making cheese-less pizza with it soon!  Plus, brazil nuts have so many healthy benefits, including high amounts of selenium, which reduces the risk of colon, lung, skin, and prostate cancer (hear that guys!).  I don't take any vitamins anymore since going paleo, instead, I prefer getting my vitamins and minerals from the all natural food I eat, rather than from a factory manufactured chemically solidified pill.  So it's important to find different foods that give you different health benefits.  Brazil nuts are something I never would have even tried, let alone cooked with, if I never went paleo, so don't be afraid to try new things.  Become informed.  See what vitamins you currently take, do a little googling to see what foods are high in those vitamins, and eat your way to health and vitality!  Ugga-Bugga!

P.S.- If you plan on making a sandwich with the garlic bread, I recommend putting the garlic mixture right into the bread batter (skip the added olive oil) and baking the whole thing together (discovered in my experimenting stage).  Sort of how my friend A. from Constructivedeconstruction might recreate traditional garlic bread (only she'd probably make it into the shape of a lego set first).  This way, it's not as oily to handle when eating.  Look:

I plan on making a favorite with it from my youth one day: Roast Pork on Garlic Bread with Duck Sauce!  This is a sandwich I have never seen outside of a NY diner menu, and it was on EVERY diner menu when I was a kid.  Such an odd combo of flavors, but it all works.  Gonna wait until my plum sauce is back in season, and then watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment