Friday, December 10, 2010

Wing Dings!

You all know how much I love hot wings (see: http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/1382487702/hot-wings-two-ways), but last time I made a classic buffalo wing, as well as wings with my now classic Plum Loco Sauce.  This time I was in the mood for what I used to call as a kid, "Wing Dings," which are really only a fun way to say fried chicken wings.  I don't know if any of you fat bastards out there have tried KFC's hot wings, but that's what I'm talking about, breaded wings, with a bite, that you eat with hot sauce.

This was a lot easier to make than I thought.  Or maybe it's just that I've gotten to the point where these things are becoming easier.  This January 1st will be one year for me on the caveman diet, so hopefully, some lessons are sinking in.  First, I marinated the wings in herbs in spices all day.  I used (say it with me: all ingredients, all organic, all the time) fresh rosemary and thyme, dry sage, mustard powder, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper.  Cut to hours later, when I made the hot sauce (again, see: http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/1382487702/hot-wings-two-ways).  It came out just as good as the first time or better!  The only difference is I used green jalapeno instead of red, because that's what I had in the fridge.  Take a look at it:

Beautiful red color!  Tasted just like a Frank's Red Hot or a Cholula or a Tapatio type of sauce, only incredibly fresher and non-processed!

And finally I made the wings themselves.  All I did was make the same batter I use for my almond bread (see: http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/1278380583/caveman-cannot-live-on-bread-alone), added a little more garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, dipped the wings in the batter, and then put them into the deep fryer (with sunflower oil because of it's high burning point).  The only bad thing about this deep fryer is it's small, so I could only cook about 6 wings parts at a time, and I had 24 of them (12 whole wings, cut into wings and drumettes), so at 8 minutes a batch, it took a while.  But they came out great, look:

Gorgeous, no?  Gorgeous, YES!  A little hot sauce on those bad boys and they went down REAL GOOD!

While I had the deep fryer going, I decided to make a delicata squash into mock sweet potato fries as a side dish.  If you remember the first time I made them (see: http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/post/1647714032/pumpkin-pie-kale-salad-and-coconut-shrimp-redux) I baked them in the oven, with nothing but a little olive oil drizzled on them.  I threw them in the deep fryer this time, and for some reason, hot oil started overflowing from the fryer all over my counter top and onto my kitchen floor.  Ug.  "Ug" is caveman for "oy."  Once I got things back under control (and not looking forward to the clean up afterwards), I cooked them in small batches (literally three or four at a time), and that seemed to do it.  But again, it took forever!  Was it worth it?  You tell me:

They were good, but truthfully, they were better from the oven because they were more crispy from the oven, and less oily!  So, another experiment goes bad, oh well, you live, you learn, but either way, you eat.  And usually you eat pretty well too if you're eating in my cave.  Ugga-Bugga!

No comments:

Post a Comment