Sunday, December 26, 2010

Paleo Pizza Kitchen: Grand Opening!

I'm REAL close on this one, folks.  Paleo pizza!  First, look, then, recipe:

I made my regular bread from ground brazil nuts, the most bread-like nut flour so far (almond probably still tastes the best, but brazil makes for the best consistency).  Again, the recipe is (ALL INGREDIENTS, ALL ORGANIC, ALL THE TIME):

1 Cup Ground Brazil Nut Flour
1/4 Cup of Arrowroot
3 Tblsp of Olive Oil
3 eggs

Mix that all together and pour into a 9x13 parchment paper lined baking pan.  Spread out evenly with hands or a spatula.  Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Take out of the oven, and spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over bread, leaving room on the sides (like a crust).  Add toppings.  Bake for another 10 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle on Paleo Parmesan, and fresh basil.  Cut into squares, and serve (we call square pieces of pizza in Brooklyn, Sicilian style, usually a thicker crust, but in this case, just convenient, if you have a round pan, go for it!).

Now for my toppings, I had two slices of leftover breaded eggplant from the last pizza experiment, so I put that on (pictured far left), but for this experiment, I put the sauce on top of it, but now that I've tasted it, I think all toppings should go on top (duh).  Then I lightly sauteed some mushrooms and put that on a slice (pictured in the middle).  Finally, I just went with the sauce for my last slice (far left).

Yes, it is cheese-less, but the paleo parmesan and the fresh basil really make it smell and taste like pizza! I think if I could find some organic mozzarella from a grass fed cow, it would be a pretty good mini-cheat to add on, but even without the cheese, this pizza IS DAMN GOOD!  Let me repeat that little bit about grass-fed again.  Listen up people, I'm sick of saying it, cows eat grass, please stop using cow products from corn-fed cows, it's BAD for you!  And don't be fooled by advertising tricks on labels like "all-natural," and "fed an organic vegetarian diet."  All that means is the corn and other grains they ate were organic.  It has to say "organic" AND "grass-fed," and then you will know you are eating products from a happy and healthy moo-cow.

The eggplant was good, the mushrooms better, and I think the plain was the best (the mark of quality with any great pizza)!  If I had some of that leftover Italian sausage, that would've been great too, but I finished off that bad boy the next night!  I also sprinkled on some crushed red pepper, but no need for garlic powder, if you remember, the paleo parmesan has raw garlic in it already!

I am going to claim this experiment a success and declare the Paleo Pizza kitchen officially open.  If I do a mini-cheat with some cheese I'll be sure to let you know.  But when you're hungry, and only have a few ingredients around, go to your pantry and make a quick sauce with that jar of organic strained tomatoes I've told you about many times (you can look it up in the blog about Ten Condiments yourself, you lazy bastards), make a quick bread and paleo parmesan using the brazil nuts you have in the pantry right next to the strained tomatoes, and presto, in 20-30 minutes you have paleo pizza!

Hmm?  What's that?  You don;t have any of that crap in your pantry?  Well, if you want to eat like a caveman, you better stock up the cave.  Otherwise you'll be running to the store every friggin' time you want to eat.  And you'll get real tired of being paleo if that happens.  So stock up, prepare ahead, and plan/cook multiple meals at a time (like, if you make fauxghetti sauce, plan on three different meals including pizza with the leftovers, and freeze the rest for the future).  Do all that, and you'll be as happy as a grass-fed moo-cow.  Only instead of moo, you'll be happily saying, "Ugga-Bugga!"

No comments:

Post a Comment