Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kale Chips & Eggs?!

Yes, you heard me right!  I woke up this morning with a craving for Kale Chips (see recipe page for, well, the recipe, duh).  But Kale Chips for breakfast?!  Hey why not?  In fact, since I think Kale Chips taste like potato chips, and potatoes and eggs go so well together (only not on the caveman diet), let's combine the two and see what happens.  Come on, come with, don't be scared... I won't drop you, come.

My first thought was to make it in a scramble, but I also thought the crispiness of the kale chips would go great with a soft yolk from sunny side eggs, creating an incredible texture!  I mean, I love the outer crispy part of hash browns, as the yolk runs onto the edge during a typical diner breakfast.  So this seems like a natural.  I can't decide, so let's make it BOTH ways!

Now, I've made kale and eggs before, in an omelet, but always sauteed kale, which tastes much more like spinach than potatoes, so by making the kale into chips first, would add a whole new dimension!  First, the sunny side eggs.  Take a look:

Pretty awesome.  Yes, the textures were wonderful, and yes, I would eat this again.  Seasoned with just the Holy Trinity of spices (look. it. up.), delicious.  But the scramble was a superstar!  I sauteed some leftover mushrooms that have to get used up (mushrooms and kale are perfect together), in some fresh thyme (all ingredients, all organic, all the time), and black pepper.  Then poured in the scrambled eggs, and finally the crispy kale chips (already seasoned in Holy Trinity).  Look:

Outrageous!  The textures of the soft mushrooms, the crispy kale chips, the wet eggs (I don't like my eggs too well done, I like them a teensy bit wet) made for an amazing party in my mouth!  And the thyme really brings it to life!  Remember, without salt in your diet, don't be afraid to try new herbs and spices in your food, you'll be amazed at the variety one simple dish has when combined with different seasoning!  This dish will be had again and again.

Plus, I have all these delicious kale chips left over!  I guarantee they will not make it to lunch.  Caveman like!  Ugga-Bugga!

No comments:

Post a Comment